Planning for the School Year, Part 2

Planning for the New School Year:  

Library Themes


Every year, I pick a theme for the entire library, and all the decorating, activities, and library events center around the theme.  I do this for several reasons. 
  1.  A theme for the year helps me structure the activities so that they feel cohesive.
  2.  I decorate once, and don't have to change the majority of the decor for the rest of the year  I switch out only one bulletin board on a monthly basis.
  3.   The students really enjoy having a library theme, and get into the spirit of the theme throughout the year.
  4. It is a fun way to engage student interests and create opportunities for dialogue.
  5. It is a fun way to keep me on my toes, and keep me engaged as well.


Creating a Library Theme for the Year

Research

First, I do research on current trends, movies, and fads.  This is important, because we want to engage students, and want them to seek out the library.  The first goal is to get them to voluntarily walk into the library.  I look at what's playing at the cinema, what's being talked about on television shows.  I check out the latest programs on kid-oriented television stations and social media (YouTube).  And, of course, I read the latest children's literature.  Once I've looked at all of this, I pick a theme.  Theme's I've selected in the past are Board Games, Superheroes, Picture book characters, The Jungle, Dinosaurs, Space, and Around the World.  Also, always keep your audience and patrons in mind.  In an K-6th grade school, I would not pick a farm theme because I want to attract all the students, not just the primary elementary grade students.

Library Motto

Once I've decided on a theme, I decide on the year-long motto.  For board games, it was "Get Your Reading Game On!"  For the around the world theme, it was "Reading Takes you Places!"  For the dinosaur theme:  "Take a Ride on the Readasaurus."  The central bulletin board's decor reflected the theme and motto, and included the motto in giant lettering.

Central Bulletin Board for Board Game theme.

Sections of the Library

Second, I take a look at all the sections of the library and decide what theme-based images, bulletin boards, or wording will go in each section.  The best way to illustrate that is to share what I did last year. 
Last year, my theme was Board Games/Game Apps, so each section/display/bulletin board (minus the rotating bulletin) showcased the theme.  The monthly book selection was the "Check It Out" area, and the bulletin board was a checker board.  The character building bulletin was "Be a Winner at LIFE" and the bulletin resembled a LIFE board game.  The story corner was decorated like the Candy Land game, and the heading was "Story Land."  

      

At our site, we also have the Accelerated Reader Program, so the tracking wall for AR was based on the popular game app, Plants vs. Zombies.



There were also other areas with game-based messages and images.  The main bulletin board, a Monopoly-like game board, and the AR wall were both interactive.  I played the "-opoly" on the wall with all the classes, and the zombies "advanced" on the Plants vs. Zombies wall as the different grade levels increased their word count throughout the year.


Modify Activities to the Theme

Many of the activities throughout the school year are the same activities I enjoy sharing with students year after year.  Having said this, the activities themselves do change in presentation depending on the theme.  For example, the first weeks of class library visits are centered around library norms, rules and procedures, and using the OPAC.  The theme for the year changes my approach on the subject.  This last year, many of my activities were turned into games to reflect the overall theme.  So instead of sharing information about part of a book and completing a handout or other activity, we had a Parts-of-a-Book relay game, where teams of students raced to identify parts of a book (no running, of course).  I usually modify at least one of the month's activities to reflect the theme.  I will still teach the parts of a book to my students next year, however the approach will change according to the theme I select.

Signage

For the rest of the year, any signs, flyers, and other promotional materials for the library also reflect the theme and library motto.  There are many opportunities throughout the year to run with the idea and have fun engaging students in library activities.

I enjoy the process of selecting a theme and planning the year's activities with the theme and motto in mind.  It makes my job even more engaging and gratifying, and I know the students appreciate the effort because they are quick to participate and comment on the activities throughout the year.  
Finally, I do want to point out that the most I spent out of pocket on my theme this last year was $30.  I use the materials and tools available, and try not to spend out of pocket.  Creating a library theme requires a lot of time and planning, however, it strengthens my library program and allows me to focus on other job duties the rest of the year.

Have fun creating for your library theme!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opening the Library: Master Checklist

Read Across America Week Activities

Read Alouds for March, 2016